Level Up: Level Up Faith
Family Meal Discussion
Greeting + Meal
Take the first 45 minutes to gather into the home, share some food, listen to each other.
Transition from the dining table to a more relaxed area, like the living room, if possible.
This weeks story to share:
*Taken from Romans, James, 1 Samuel
In the stories of God, we see ways that we can level up in our area of Faith. We can look to David and his story on how his faith to defeat the massive Philistine soldier took levels of faith leading up to that important moment in his life.
In the introduction of Paul's letter to the Romans, he shares how are acts of faith transforms us into the people we are meant to be:
It’s news I’m most proud to proclaim, this extraordinary Message of God’s powerful plan to rescue everyone who trusts him, starting with Jews and then right on to everyone else! God’s way of putting people right shows up in the acts of faith, confirming what Scripture has said all along: “The person in right standing before God by trusting him really lives.” (Romans 1:16-17 MSG)
James wrote a letter to be shared among the church to encourage Jewish Christians who were suffering opposition and experiencing various difficulties that were test their faith. James wrote,...
Consider it a sheer gift, friends, when tests and challenges come at you from all sides. You know that under pressure, your faith-life is forced into the open and shows its true colors. So don’t try to get out of anything prematurely. Let it do its work so you become mature and well-developed, not deficient in any way. (James 1:2-4 MSG)
In the Old Testament book of 1 Samuel, we see the story of David's faith to stand up and fight against the Giant Philistine known as Goliath. David's story shows how over time, his faith was prepared for this moment in his life. David has an intense conversation with King Saul:
“Master,” said David, “don’t give up hope. I’m ready to go and fight this Philistine.”
Saul answered David, “You can’t go and fight this Philistine. You’re too young and inexperienced—and he’s been at this fighting business since before you were born.”
David said, “I’ve been a shepherd, tending sheep for my father. Whenever a lion or bear came and took a lamb from the flock, I’d go after it, knock it down, and rescue the lamb. If it turned on me, I’d grab it by the throat, wring its neck, and kill it. Lion or bear, it made no difference—I killed it. And I’ll do the same to this Philistine pig who is taunting the troops of God-Alive. God, who delivered me from the teeth of the lion and the claws of the bear, will deliver me from this Philistine.”
Saul said, “Go. And God help you!” (1 Samuel 17:32-37 MSG)
Through David's story we can relate to these areas of faith growth that takes place in our lives:
3 Levels of David's Faith:
- The Sheep Level
- The Lion and Bear Level
- The Giant Level
Closing + Goodbyes
Ask if anyone has additional thoughts or questions about the story or points. Close with an appropriate prayer time based on the faith level of those there tonight.
DNA Group Discussion
DISCOVER (PRE-WORK) Before and while you read these passages ask the Spirit of God to illuminate your heart and mind and bring conviction and clarity of his truth for your life. Take some time during your own personal study to read through these four key questions:
1. Who is God (what does this passage tell me about God’s character)?
2. What Has God Done (how do I see God’s character in action here)?
3. Who Am I (How does God’s character and action shape how I see myself)?
4. What Do I Do (if I believe 1-3 how would I respond and relate to others)?
Scripture: Romans 1:17, James 1:2-3, and 1 Samuel 17:32-37
QUESTION: What did you DISCOVER during your study?
NURTURE Confess out loud to one another areas of personal struggle or unbelief that the Spirit revealed during your personal study.
In light of this week’s sermon, consider these questions together:
- Are you content when you are tasked with the mundane tasks like taking care of sheep?
- Do you try to skip levels like the Lions and Bears that would prepare you for your Giants?
- Are you afraid to advance to the giant levels in your life?
QUESTION: How will you REPENT and BELIEVE the gospel?
ACT In light of your time together, what steps will you take to act on your new discoveries and affirmed beliefs?
Consider these questions:
1. What is a tangible way that you can bear witness to the gospel in your school, workplace or neighborhood this week?
2. How can you demonstrate God’s involvement in your life? How can you be more aware of it and draw attention to it?
3. What does it look like to bear witness in the midst of adversity? What adversity are you facing currently and how can you bear witness to God’s control?
4. Is there someone in your life that you think struggles with the secular narrative they hear around them? Who are they and how can you bear witness to the greater reality of the transcendent God this week?
QUESTION: What will you DO and who will you TELL about what God has done?
© 2016 Saturate. Some rights reserved. You are free to use, remix, and build upon this work non-commercially if you attribute “saturatetheworld.com”.
Scripture taken from The Message. Copyright © 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002. Used by permission of NavPress Publishing Group.
ESV brought to you by Crossway (a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers)